Saturday, February 28, 2015

Tutor $100/hr

I'm a private freelance American English Teacher & Tutor at coffee shops in Q.1, TP.HCM. Tuition: negotiable
.
People always ask me how much is the fee for learning English. That question is very hard to answer because I always end up offending people if I go too high or low. For example, I suggested a higher price here which led to a public outcry automatically. I could say to say people a number like $100 per hour. However, people are going to misunderstand what I mean by that




Jo Arnold: Ja English: TP.HCM. If you are reading this, you might be misreading it. Most people misread what I write. People misinterpret what I write. Even native English speakers misunderstand me. People jump to conclusions and to deductions and assumptions and associations and implications and they read between the lines and read into things some things that are not really there.
.
What I wrote here is an example of how easy it is for people to misunderstand things in English. I did not say that I charge $100 per hour. I wrote that "I say $100." Now, that is not a requirement and it is not an exact demand. Well, it can be a demand, but people can barter to bring down the price and I also teach for free. People who know me knows that I negotiate prices with people.
.
People are prone to fighting and to misunderstandings like this one. This is a perfect example of how people are pretty arrogant, ignorant, blind, and too quick to assume, imply, judge, and to jump to conclusions and logic without sufficient evidence and data that can help them understand what is really going on.
.
I did not say that I get $100. That would be different. I did not say that I will not teach for less than $100. You need to know that I do not get $100. Sometimes, I might get $5 per hour if I am lucky. However, education is still priceless and some teacher are paid as high as $30 per hour or more.
.
What I wrote was in order to persuade people towards my value. However, ti did not really work. instead, people decided to beat me up and to tell me that I have no value and that I am a horrible person. If I say that I teach for free, then I get in trouble. When I say that I teach for a very high price, then people hate me for that as well. I pretty much get attacked from both extremes from different people no matter what I do.
.

People need to think about what teachers and tutors do in real life instead of only thinking about what they think I said. I did not say that people have to give me a certain amount. I used the word "Say" which is very casual and very general it can be flexible in the meanings that you give to that word "Say." You need to see that "Say" is not in the past tense of "Said" for a reason. That reason is to invoke an idea that is ongoing and in a world of like utopia or something like that
.
However, people are still misunderstanding me for different reasons and to different extremes, mostly due to their inability to understand English enough: they do not see what I am writing here



https://www.facebook.com/JoeyArnoldVN/posts/1551677598447325?comment_id=1551692955112456&offset=0&total_comments=73&notif_t=feed_comment




No comments:

Post a Comment